Thursday, January 26, 2012

Wet Finish: Sounds naughty to me!

OK  I couldn't resist that naughty comment there.  But here is my Pendleton wool rug that I followed someones instructions (Thanks Mike) and did what he calls a wet finish.  Why couldn't he just say that he threw it in the washer and washed the dang thing?  But it is done carefully,, verrrrrry carefully!  Cold water on gentle, then a little downy in the rinse.  Dried on delicate for about 1 1/2 hr.  It is so soft now.  Washed out alot of tiny loose fibers, but it shrunk up about 2 to 3 inches, and the warp is a little less noticeable.  I think if I do it again, I will only let the dashing cycle go for a minute.  The edges are sort of fuzzy, but I like the look.  Thanks Mike.  We keep learning stuff.

At the college this week, I helped wrap warp (try saying that 5 times real fast) on a warping board for an "older" lady that has trouble standing.  It was good for me to practice again.  Had one oops, about cracked the top right post on the board.  Seems I wrapped it a little to tight.  Lesson learned! 
Then the instructor set me up to weave some sample of a tweed pattern.  This is my first try a changing from plain tabby weave.  This is really fun.  Have to pay attention to the sequencing of each row, and we added a second color.  Will have to whip out my cell phone and take a few pictures of what I am dong there.    So at the store  I am going to set my little table top up with about a 5 inch wide set up and practice the patterns at home between classes.  Can always use them as coasters or something.

Thought for the day:  Egotism enables a man in a rut to think he is in the groove... unknown

1 comment:

  1. Naughty comment indeed! LOL
    Glad that you are happy with the results. Amazing how it could get even softer than the woven selvage, eh? They really do "plump up" though.

    ReplyDelete