Thursday, October 18, 2012

Weaving update


This is the table runner that I finished off about 3 weeks ago from my weaving class at the college.  It is cotton warp and weft, with a diamond pattern through out.  But the pattern shows up best in the gold.
I am warping the loom now for a scarf.  My goal to learn how to beat the weft SOFTLY.  Since I make rugs most of the time this will be a challenge.  Also am going to put a floating selvage in.  Never did that before.  I am using a fine warp in cream and tan, very shuttle for my pretty pink yarn.  Have forgotten the contents of it but a mixture.  I am doing a simple warping of 1,2,3,4-3,2,1  repeats.  Then the pattern is a simple twill.  So unless you are a weaver I am just using gibberish here.  LOL

Been having trouble getting in the mood to weave.  Hope when this craft show Saturday is over I can put all that stuff away.  I am hoping to make enough to buy a rigid heddle loom to use here at the store.  I think it would be fun to learn another way of weaving that is a sort of throw back to simple times.  Yet I understand that you can do many patterns and textures on it too.  So will see.  May put an ad on Craigs list that I am looking for one. 

Fall is definately here,  the air is crisp and the trees turning beautifully this year.  The 2 nites of frost a couple weeks ago must have triggered it.  Hummers are gone south to their winter homes.

Will post pictures of the craft fair next time.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. If at all possible, get the loom stand for the rigid heddle loom, too. It will be the perfect height for weaving when sitting on a regular chair. It of course, can be used on a table, but that puts it just above comfort level.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, I sort of thought I would like the stand. Looked at them on a few sites today. Even saw some U tube videos on weaving with one and setting it up.

      Delete