Friday, December 7, 2012

December newspaper article


December column
I have to apologize for my strange store hours for the month of November. Hubby had knee surgery and I have been the designated driver for all the appointments and numerous other errands for our household. I am glad that he is doing very well and will be taking back the his car keys.

I have finished with the last craft show for this year, Carver Elementary School Craft show was awesome! I am back to my usual store hours of Wed. 12 to 4, Thurs. and Fri. 10 to 4 and Sat. 10 to 3. Not sure if I will continue my Wed. morning weaving class next semester. It may depend on my getting the project finished that I have started and right now that is not looking like it will happen.

Just a reminder, I have gift certificates available for those on your Christmas list that love to read. I also have rugs that I wove on my floor loom available for sale, along with assorted other craft items. Buy recycled and American made!

The Giver
by Lois Lowry

I have looked at this book several times and had it on my “to read” stack for some time. I finally read it and truly enjoyed it. This book is for anyone 10 and above and can come in a box set with 2 other books that follow the same line. I will be reading those soon. It is a small book and easy to read and follow. The setting is in the future where the world has no poverty, no crime, no sickness, and no unemployment. Sounds wonderful doesn't it? Think again as it also offers no choices. 12 year old Jonas is chosen to become the Giver, which is an honor only bestowed every generation or so. As Jonas begins to receive the “memories” of what life before was like going back and back and back, he begins to feel things and see light and color, and experience pain for the first time. Will he decide that he cannot pay the price to become the “Giver”? There is no turning back or is there? This is an unforgettable book that will stay with you for a long time and may make you even wonder where our own society is headed.
A Summer Affair
by
Elin Hilderbrand

I read and reported on another of Hilderbrand's books a couple months ago. I am not sure I enjoyed this one as much as the previous one but it was still a good read. It is about a woman who is professional glassblower with a husband and 4 children. She is chosen to co-chair a summer gala in her town of Nantucket. Things get out of hand when she is attracted to the man who runs the charity that the gala is funding. It has a lot of complicated twists and turns but basically focuses on Claire the perfectionist trying to juggle way to much and finding herself lost in it all. Of course in the end she makes her choices and all the conflicts will keep you reading to the end.

I will continue to have Nora Roberts as the feature author and will offer $1 off each book through December.

I want to wish every one a very Merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year! Thank you for helping to keep my little book store going.

No comments:

Post a Comment