Tuesday, January 26, 2016

October column

WeaverBirdsRugs.com  my new Web site, is “under construction” for now, as I get all my license, and tax, and name registration completed.  I am getting excited about not having to keep regular hours as many know has been a struggle for me the last year or so.  I will be in the store frequently and some on weekends too.  If my sign is out and flag is up then I am there and the welcome mat is out.  Hope to expand my woven products and sell in my store and on line.  Also teaching and sharing the old weaving skills to others will be a big part of what I will be doing.  I will be available to give weaving demonstrations for organizations who request, as well as teach.  I am sort of becoming the loom whisperer too.  Got a loom?  Want a loom?  I will help connect the dots to help my students find looms.

The books will remain on the outer walls and still be available for sale, probably at half price for a long time.  With no other used book stores in the county I don't want to entirely give that up yet.

Fiber Daze at Mt Vernon in Sept was a real success.  We kept hearing people say Wow!  You have a great event here.  We worked very hard to make it a good experience.  I think the vendors did well and offered lots of great stuff.  We had a wide assortment of classes and are coming up with new ideas for next year all ready. 

I did manage to finish a book by Stephen King and have four books open and started at the present time.  So here is my report on King for this month.

11/22/63
by
Stephen King

King outdid himself this time.  I had almost given up reading his books as some are just to dark for me.  This one has a bit of mystery, fantasy and time travel in it.  What would you do if you could go back in time and prevent the assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963?  Would you have the nerve to risk all to perhaps save thousands, maybe prevent the Viet Nam War?  That was the logic behind Jake taking the gamble to go back and change history.  But history doesn't like to be changed, as he learned.  His buddy who ran a diner confided a secret to him.  In the back of the diner was a doorway in a storage room that when opened took him back to 1958 each time he went through. It seemed he was gone only a few minutes no matter how long he stayed in the past.  Imagine if you are old enough what it would be like to leave present day USA and open a doorway to 1958, a time of Ike and Elvis.  A time of big cars and cigarette smoke.  Jake made a couple test runs, staying in the past and “correcting” history on a local level before he would believe that it was possible.  It was a real page turner to see if he could stay long enough in the past to get him to 1963 with a plan that would succeed.  I really liked this book and am back to being a King fan again.

The last book was borrowed from my column of Sept. 2011 as I thought it was a very good book and wanted to share it again.  Besides I need to finished the four books, so I will catch up next month.


                                                           For One More Day
                                                            by: Mitch Albom

What would you do if you had one more day to spend with someone you loved who has passed away?  Mitch Albom has written several of these small books that I just love and have kept them for my personal library.  In this book the main character Charlie feels he has been a failure at life. At age 11 his father abandons his family and Charlie's mother raises him with all the love she can but for Charlie a hole has been left in his heart.  As a grown man  he destroys his own family with alcohol and in his desperation he decided to take his life.  But somewhere between life and death he sees his mother who has been dead for 8 years and he spends a “day” with her.  The rest of the story is for you to read as Charlie learns his mothers story. Is it to late for him to come back and change??  You will have to read to see.

Thought for the day: 
We never get what we want,
We never want what we get,
We never have what we like,
We never like what we have.
Still we live and love.  That's life.
(Author unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment