Tuesday, January 26, 2016

November Newspaper column

This has turned out to be a really awesome fall.  Trees are turning and weather has been fall like for a change. My furnace kicked on for first time about 3 this morning. My Saturdays at Farmers Market in Neosho has come to an end for this year.  I look forward to being a member of that group again next year.  Don't know how other groups do it but this group has been wonderful to help each other set up and tear down their awnings.  I think next year will be even better with more vendors.
 Saturday the 7th of Nov. I will be set up with the Stella event to honor the Veterans at the Memorial.  A large tent will be set up with crafters and food.  Also breakfast will be served, a parade, and chuck wagon cooking for lunch.  Come out and pay tribute to our Veterans, looks like it will be a sunny day, at least looking a week out from this writing.
Again I have another month of being to busy to read much, so I want to mention a favorite book and author to start with.  
 
High Grade
by
David Lincoln Jones

David  Jones will be coming out with his new book soon.  David is a local guy of sorts, since he was

 born in Granby and grew up in Neosho.  He lives in Arizona and in his retirement has taken on his love of writing and history.  In his first book, High Grade he combines family history with some fiction.  He had a great-great grandfather who was lost in the Civil War.  He was wounded and on way to a hospital in St Louis he vanished.  His family later moved west and settled in Granby.  His grandfather, Nimrod Columbus Jones was a local minister and later a sheriff here in Granby during the height of the mining days. This much is family history. 
In his book Jones takes up with a fictitious story of  his great-great grandfather, Ben being nursed back to health by local mountain people and when he wakes up he does not know who he is or where he came from.  With body healed he starts heading west and ends up in a town in Colorado called High Grade.  (I think the author chose this name because of the ore that was mined here at that time was called high grade.)  Ben is able to start a new life but retains his true values.  I found this to be a very engaging book and of quality that anyone could read it with out being offended by language.  I am looking forward to his sequel and we will find out if Ben finds his way back to Granby to find his family or not. You can buy High Grade on Amazon and I have one copy left here in the store.  Also his sequel (I believe the name is Return to High Grade) will be available at Amazon before the end of the year.  I hope to get another autographed copy from my friend (whom I never met) David Jones.

Illusions
by
Richard Bach
Don't know how many folks still read books by Richard Bach.  He wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull and this is sort of a follow up to that book.  Written in 1977 I found in my research that many people buy this book to share what they feel it gave to them. Bach takes to the air in his old biplane to discover the ageless truths that give our souls wings: that people don't need airplanes to soar ...that even the darkest clouds have meaning once we lift ourselves above them ...and that messiahs can be found in the most unlikely  place, like  hay fields, one-traffic-light mid western towns, and most of all, deep within ourselves.  He discovers that the bonds that form a true family is not only of blood but respect and joy in each others life, and rarely to real families grow up under the same roof. This is one book I will keep in my personal library and read a few more times.

I am reading an excellent book that I need one more evening to finish so will report on it next week.  It is one that I will be giving a big thumbs up to. 

Don't forget my store will be known as Weaver Birds Rugs by end on year.  If flag is out I am here, come on in.  Books still available for sale.  If you need ideas for Christmas gifts think about a hand made rug or runner made locally instead of “you know what”!

No comments:

Post a Comment